Motorcycle Accidents: Injuries, Causes, Claims and Losses
“On the other hand, we denounce with righteous indignation and dislike men who are so beguiled and demoralized by the charms of pleasure of the moment, so blinded by desire, that they cannot foresee the pain and trouble that are bound to ensue; and equal blame belongs to those who fail in their duty through weakness of will, which is the same as saying through shrinking from toil and pain. These cases are perfectly simple and easy to distinguish. In a free hour, when our power of choice is untrammelled and when nothing prevents our being able to do what we like best, every pleasure is to be welcomed and every pain avoided. But in certain circumstances and owing to the claims of duty or the obligations of business it will frequently occur that pleasures have to be repudiated and annoyances accepted. The wise man therefore always holds in these matters to this principle of selection: he rejects pleasures to secure other greater pleasures, or else he endures pains to avoid worse pains.”
Riding a motorcycle is fun and exhilarating but it is a known fact that motorcycle riders are most prone to injuries and even fatalities. Without any protective exoskeleton as in the case of cars, trucks, etc., a motorcycle rider is more likely to be injured or killed than car occupants. With absolutely no protection from the impact, the rider often suffers catastrophic injuries that may take several months to heal. The pain and suffering caused due to the careless and negligent actions of others is further compounded by lengthy medical bills, long recuperation period, loss of wages, inability to lead a normal life and the cost of defense attorneys among others.
The Motorcycle accident lawyer Montgomery, AL working at the Law Offices of Manley Traeger have extensive experience of representing motorcycle accident victims. Our knowledgeable and resourceful lawyers have won large settlements and verdicts for our clients in and around Montgomery.
Motorcycle Crashes: Fatalities and Injuries
Motorcyclists are much more prone to the risk of dying or suffering serious injuries in a crash than motorists.
Also, older riders are more likely to sustain serious injuries as compared to younger riders. There could be several reasons for it such as poor eyesight, slow reflexes, and overall fragility of elder riders.
Major Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
- Drunk driving is the biggest culprit when it comes to serious motorcycle crashes. Also, studies suggests that drunk riders are also less likely to use helmets.
- Speeding apart from alcohol abuse is another major factor in fatal crashes.
- Also, some motorcycles are riskier than others. Some motorcycles are built for racing; motorcycle enthusiasts buy them, and use them on streets after some modifications. Super sport motorcycles are more popular with riders under the age of 30. A report from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reveals that super sport riders are four times more likely to suffer fatalities in comparison to drivers of other types of motorcycles.
Motorcycle Crashes: Economic Losses
The economic burden of motorcycle crashes is huge with latest available data form the Government Accounting Office (GAO) shows that motorcycle crashes cost $16 billion in deaths, physical injuries, psychological problems, loss in economic productivity, insurance costs and financial losses among others.
As per the GAO, market productivity loss formed the highest proportion of direct costs accounting for 44 percent of total costs, followed by medical costs, at 18 percent.
Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Some of the most common injuries associated with motorcycle accidents are:
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain damage
- Sprains and tear
- Broken bones or fractures
- Lacerations and cuts
- Intra-abdominal injuries and bleeding
- Spinal cord damage including paralysis
- Temporary or permanent muscle damage
- Road rash, etc.
Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Sincere and motivated injury attorney in Montgomery, AL working with the law offices of Manley Traeger know that a motorcycle accident can be a harrowing experience, both mentally and physically. As an injury victim, you should focus on your recovery and let us fight for you in the court so that you get the compensation you rightly deserve for medical bills, loss of productivity and debilitating injuries.